Tuesday, December 2, 2008

estudio

in august i was juried* into a new artists' community called the workhouse arts center in lorton, virginia. my cellmates and i are having a reception on december 13 from 7 - 9pm. please come.^ it is free. and i would like to see you.*** and so would my art.



in the meantime, here's a preview:






you can also check out my website: http://www.anniegedicks.com/.****

and a smidge of what it's about:

my working metaphor is inspired by descriptions of the richter scale, which measures the intensity of earthquakes. the tremors just under the earth's crust are like emotional tremors within our internal worlds. they range from micro quakes that happen daily - not felt, but not unrecorded - to major quakes that are less frequent, but can cause significant damage in populated areas. i wonder, are we really that different from nature? our personal disasters are as sudden and forceful, as devastating and destructive, as insignificant. they are terrible. they are beautiful.




*for you non-arty-farties out there, this means that i had to apply, submit samples of my art in both digital form and actual work ready-to-hang (on the wall), wait anxiously for acceptance, rearrange my life and sign a 3-year lease. this is not a job. i pay rent. but in the art world, being accepted to something like this is a very good thing.**

**yes. i'm kind of a big deal. (gag)


***don't make me beg. that's just sad. you don't want to see that.

^my handy dandy link to googlemaps wouldn't work so here's the address: 9601 Ox Rd, Lorton, VA 22079

****bonus points for anyone that can tell me the differences since i last posted it (besides the introduction of real words on the homepage)

6 comments:

Sherry Carpet said...

you ARE a big deal! i already knew that already. congratulations, anna-na!

Nicea said...

Yes, dear. You are a big deal, and always have been in my eyes. Your mother is very proud. And now a little ditty to help you remember your place in the universe, something only your mother can say and get away with:

Humility
As I watch the sky up high
In my mind I wonder why
I ever thought big was I.
For if big am I, what is the sky?

I love the art piece on this post and your working metaphor. Fascinating.

And now, I'm going to visit your website.

Nicea said...

Now THAT was a nice sidetrip! Your website is really cool. You've done a beautiful job on it. How exciting! Congratulations on all of it.

annie said...

sherry: aw, shucks. thanks. love the new pic! tee hee!

ma: the sky is a conglomeration of ozone and air. that's what it is. :P and also, i can't take credit for the website design. a guy named matt did it for me. he has a link to his at the bottom right corner of my homepage.

annie said...

i maybe got a little carried away with the footnotes there...

Shawn said...

I agree that you are a big deal and I loved looking at your website. Good job, Annie!!!