Monday, July 20, 2009

together forever

i'd like you all to know that running and i got back together. maybe you didn't know we were on a break. (i didn't want to complain.) we were pretty hot and heavy for a while, but whenever we went out, i just felt like i was gonna explode. and each new date brought some new annoyance or source of pain. some say i was too demanding, that i was pushing too hard, trying to go too fast. we tried various counselors who fit us with new shoes and adjusted our backs. we even tried massage together, but to no avail. it just wasn't fun anymore; the rough patch continued. frustrated and exhausted, i called it off to explore my options: i swam, i cycled, i danced, i slept, but i still wasn't happy. my relationships with these others felt shallow; they weren't fulfilling. they just couldn't compare to what i had with running. i realized that nothing really gets me goin, makes my heart flutter or stomach squirm (in a good way?) like running. so, last night, i asked running to take me back, left my watch at home, and ended our brief cooling-off period. we had a lovely time together.

i missed you, baby. let's never fight again.



11 comments:

Aaron said...

You have a way with words that perfectly conveys this relationship, and I think it's wonderful! Well written!

Ashley C said...

That was the best blog I've read in awhile. Bless you.

courtney said...

I completely understand. Running and I have been on a break too, but reading your blog makes me want to give him another chance. I'm scared he'll hurt me again, but I can't seem to get him out of my mind, or picture myself without him forever. It's like an abusive relationship...

Nicea said...

Awesome post. Unfortunately, running and I never had a chance. He's a leg man, and nothing I did could ever convince him that my bad knees wouldn't get in the way of our happiness. In the end, we went our separate ways. I wish you all the best in your new life together.

Sherry Carpet said...

that picture is just perfect for a night run. are you a night runner? that's my favorite time. morning running is for squares. unless you like it, in which case, sorry you're so square.

melbo said...

I'm so glad you found each other again. We should double sometime.

annie said...

courtney: yup. and we need to join art forces again. i have some ideas...

sherry: night running is so much more betterer. mornings = gross

melbo: yes please!

Shawn said...

I think I ran at night once. And maybe once in the morning.

Funny post, Annie.

Amanda Moore said...

Running and I just met. I hope it doesn't bother you its cheating..

annie said...

runnin is different for every person, so mine ain't cheatin.

Tyler and Jenica said...

Funny post...I loved it. I hope you're having fun on your hike!!