Sunday, June 6, 2010

can we pretend?

you know what "they" say, if you want to make god laugh, tell him your plans. i hate them a little bit right now. i kind of get the idea that the universe is ganging up on me. it's not that anything particularly terrible has happened. just life: my heart broke. it's ok, i've got glue. my employer dropped me from the group health insurance. it's ok, i'll buy a plan myself. my grandpa died. it's ok, he was 85 and lived a happy life.

but sometimes the irony of the universe that i usually find so amusing is not so funny when i'm the butt of the joke. you know, when the plan that makes god laugh gets severely thwarted from all sides and you have to go to plan x because you've already gone through plans a-w and you worry what's going to happen when you get to plan z, which you assume won't work because plans a-y didn't and you realize you should've been using numbers all along because they're infinite. you know? and this realization comes rather painfully like driving full speed into a brick wall because it seemed to all be working out so perfectly according to plan whatever-letter-it-was, complete with nods of spiritual confirmation from the big guy and then, as sherry carpet once said so succinctly, free will kicks my butt again.

so i have some conversations with that being who's probably simultaneously rolling his eyes and chuckling at (with?) this prideful little mortal daughter of his as she tries to wheedle, cajole, bargain and finally submit to his all-knowing plan. (can i at least see it? please?)

perhaps this is an abrahamic test - when one is asked to relinquish truly righteous desires in the name of god. (melodramatic much, ann?) like abraham and sarah raising the miracle child isaac, through whom the covenants of god would be fulfilled, and then being asked to sacrifice him to the very being who gave them this gift in the first place. its a story i'm still not sure i'm comfortable with. i guess the upside is that abraham didn't have to sacrifice isaac after all - he just had to be willing to - and the lord did fulfill his promises, but only after abraham climbed the mountain, placed his cherished gift on the altar and raised the knife.

so maybe i'm still climbing my mountain (it ain't about how fast i git there, right). maybe i haven't placed my gift on the altar yet. maybe i don't have the heart to raise the knife or maybe i haven't even received said gift(s). it's all very confusing. and until i figure all that business out, i will stock up on sweet sweet nectar of the gods, a few choice scriptures, some words from the wise, a lot of books and several sleeves of double stuff oreos...

and pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars cause i could really use a wish right now.

12 comments:

Amanda Lynn, to be exact said...

I love you, annie.

Ashley C said...

I love everything about the way you wrote this post. It felt just like we were in a conversation.

Confession: I almost said that I loved everything about this post, and then I realized that would mean I loved the fact that plans a-w fell through and that God's laughing at you, which would make me seem like a sadist, and that's just not cool. And we both know that we have a long-standing, consistent cool level that we need to keep up. We have reputations, after all.

Jamie said...

Broken hearts suck. But since you have glue, you should eat some. That always makes me feel better too.

Love you! Hang in there. Your post sounds like you're so on top of things, even in a time of uncertainty. You rock.

richard dandelion said...

That sweet sweet nectar'll get you through. Hang in there.

Shawn said...

I dub this BEST POST OF THE WEEK(and it's only Monday). And after I read it I had the same thought that your friend Amanda Lynn had...I love you, Annie. And please add some Mexican food to your plan for feeling better soon medicine. Do it for me AND you.

annie said...

@amanda - love you, too, lady (to be exact)

@ashley - you do crack me up. also, thank you. also, lets talk about when i'm coming to visit you in australia. i'm thinking january...for my birthday...yes? also, you don't get much cooler than "i'm moving to australia." also, i just wanted to say also again.

@jaime - um, does kevin know you eat glue? i thought i'd get people telling me to sniff it. i was way off.

@rd - i'm thinking of hooking up an iv. mmmmmm.

@shawn - i would like to thank the academy...
do you think i could count mexican food as glue? then i could satisfy both suggestions (because of course i must implement all suggestions into my daily life) also, you might want to check your daughter's diet...or mikey might end up a very sticky boy indeed, at least till the glue dries.

courtney said...

I'm sorry things are not going very well right now, but at least you got a fantastic blog post out of it! I don't know if I've read your blog before, but I saw the link on gmail and clicked on it and now I want to be a follower because you are so clever and said things I've thought, but couldn't put into words. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jamie said...

When I said eat glue, I actually meant glue-COSE, i.e. sugar, in the form of diet coke. :)

ANJ said...

i am printing this and keeping it forever. thank you.

xo
amber

annie said...

@courtney - helloooo! happy to have ya. hope you're enjoying those mountains

@jaime - ohhhhhhh! glu-COSE! really glad you're not eating glue. that just had disaster written al over it.

Sherry Carpet said...

count out the awesomeness of annie as you fall asleep every night. here's something to get you started:

:: the best hair

:: smokin' runner's body (is that weird for one girl cousin to say to another girl cousin?)

:: mad art skills

:: RARE art skills

:: the heart of an artist (at least as much of a blessing as it is a curse, i hear)

:: eyes, oh the eyes...

:: genuine kindness

:: grace up the wazoo

:: truly twisted and marvelous sense of humor

i could go on, as you know, but i don't want to offend your modest nature.

annie said...

@amber sassparilla: i am honored. and flattered. and maybe scared for you (haha)

@sherry carpet: thank you, my dear cuz. thank you.