Monday, June 2, 2008

the yellow ones don't stop

i moved. so now i have to take the bus to the metro.  the first day i waited 30 minutes for a bus, which took me in the wrong direction and extended my commute by about 20 minutes, making me late for work.

in order to catch the correct bus home, i looked on the metro site, which directed me to the 10A bus from the pentagon city metro stop. Thirty minutes later, an inquiry at pentagon city revealed that i was actually supposed to get off at the pentagon stop. by that time, the 10A had quit running and i was stuck lugging my 50lb suitcase (which had just arrived at my office from indianapolis) the 1 mile home.

so the next day i printed the schedules and poured over them studiously. i still missed the first bus by about 30 seconds. i wasn't worried, though. i'd come out early, just in case such a situation should arise. i also knew that 2 other buses should be by in the next 10 minutes. so i took out my book and made myself comfortable on the bench. as the next bus approached, i stood up and, to my surprise, it didn't even slow down. i stared after it, bewildered, then sat down on the bench and pulled out my trusty schedules, thinking i'd probably misread them. but NO! it WAS supposed to stop, as was the next bus, which also blew by me, causing my skirt to swirl dangerously.  i, once again, waited a total of 30 minutes for the bus and was late for work. 

on the way home, i got off the metro at the pentagon stop, but in trying to find the correct bus, once again missed the 10A. the other buses that run by my new place were on the other end of the depot. rather than risk missing all of them and then missing the next 10A, i waited 15 minutes. i got on the 10A, missed my stop and got home 30 minutes late.

now i walk to and from the metro. it takes me 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Nicea said...

Yay! Another blog from Annie. I thought you were going to say that you were so engrossed in your book that you failed to see the buses coming your way--kinda like reading past your stop once when you were coming home from school. And so we have another comical episode in the continuing saga of Annie and the Bus.

annie said...

truth be told, my book was the reason i missed the second one. but it didn't stop at the next stop either (which i can see from my stop) so i took a little artistic liberty.

Shawn said...

I think I have joined Nicea in enjoying reading all the kids' blogs. I may end up being a black hole blog reader as well, but at least I can always check the archives.