Tuesday, August 26, 2008

my lists will defend me


i really love to make lists. really a lot. i write one on my wrist almost every day. this is the list of stuff that must be completed before day's end. sometimes it actually happens.  one of my favorite authors, terry tempest williams, writes: 

I love to make lists. Maybe it's my background in beehives and breadmaking, the whole business of being industrious and frugal (of which I am neither) that a list promotes. Or maybe it's the power that comes when you can cross something off a list. Done. Finished. Move on to the next chore. I can see in a very tangible form what I have accomplished in a day. Or perhaps it's the democratic nature of lists that I find so attractive.  Each task is of equal importance on paper. so "pick up fresh flowers" carries the same weight as "do the laundry." It's the line slashed through the words that counts. Never mind that the pleasurable items are crossed off by noon and the difficult ones, meant for procrastination anyway, get moved to the next day's agenda. The point is that my intentions are honorable. My lists will defend me.*

my thoughts exactly, terry. my thoughts exactly.  now here's some art about that. 




*Williams, Terry Tempest. Refuge: An Unnatural History of Family and Place. New York: Vintage Books 1991, p. 87.

5 comments:

Ashley C said...

Love the quote (So true for me as well!), love the piece. Thank you so much for posting it!

miss kitti said...

Okay. I've been playing catch-up with your posts. So much good stuff to read!

I'm totally a lister. If it doesn't get written down it doesn't happen. Even then, sometimes it doesn't happen. But the desire is there.

How do you keep the ink from smudging on your arm? Just wondering.

Great post.

Sherry Carpet said...

how did i miss this post? so much enjoying it and feeling the kinship. i love ttw too. i like lists, but tend to forget to consult them after they're written. sigh.

annie said...

yay another ttw fan! i forget to consult my lists, too...unless they're written on my body. even then sometimes the ink smudges or washes off. i use that as my excuse for why the wrist list didn't get completed for that day...

annie said...

for example, sc, i've had your name written on my wrist for weeks now to remind myself to send you some jpegs. i think today might be the day....