Tuesday, August 26, 2008

remnants of a label









best if used by (second generation), 2007
drypoint on wood on handmade kozo paper and found objects cast in resin
pint size

a few years ago, two of my artist friends and i discovered that we all use jars in our work and that our work harmonized together quite well.  we put together an exhibit titled, remnants of a label.  i couldn't figure out what to make for this exhibit. i did use jars, but none of my current artwork really applied to this concept. through experimentation and desperation, best if used by was born.  here's an excerpt from my thesis that explains the work: 

In the remnants of a label series, I floated small prints inside of resin cast in mason jars and then broke the jar away. The jars are important in referencing the feminine tradition of preserving. I used to help my mother preserve the apples that we picked from the trees in our back yard. I also remember the many jars of different foods lining the shelves in my grandmother's pantry, needing some dusting before being opened for consumption. My jars are an unpolished amber color, as if they'd been sitting on a shelf for a long time, perhaps past the expiration date. Have these traditional roles expired? The prints inside the jars relate to self. Do these jars preserve or trap me within the traditional role? What would happen if I break from that role? I also think of how my heritage has shaped, molded and marked me, as the glass jar has the resin.



7 comments:

Sherry Carpet said...

annie, i think this is beautiful! and inspired. i remember those mason jars in grandma's dusty pantry. well, they're probably still there, eh?

Sherry Carpet said...

oh, and do you make photographic prints of your work? i would love to start my own annance gedinx collection. i have oh, so much wall space just screaming for an artist's touch.

annie said...

thanks, sherry carpet!

i have digital images of everything, but have never tried printing them photographically. they look great as inkjets, though. i'm sure we can figure something out. don't i owe you about 87 birthday presents? ;)

Sherry Carpet said...

well, you don't owe me anything. but if you want to make my day, you can start by just sending me a few of your favorite digital shots sometime. maybe i can figure out a good way to print them.

annie said...

that i can definitely do. :)

abbyjane said...

I had no idea you were so deep...

Some thoughts:

If you break the mold, you are still the person you've been told and molded to be, just like the resin. Of course you can build onto that mold, adding and subtracting things as the years go by. Who you've been "molded" to be, however, will always be there, even if unrecognizable.

Also I remember picking those blasted apples and the giant mess of canning for weeks on end. I'm pretty sure we only did it that one time--am I right?

annie said...

abba - great thoughts!! i hadn't looked at it that way before. i'll have to re-think some things. :)

and i think you're right about only doing the canning once. we were so miserable and sticky and whiney that i don't think mom wanted to deal with suggesting it again. but i think she would've liked to do it again. yeah, mom?